THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Hurricane Ike, The Final Days

Once we returned home on Sunday, our days were spent cleaning up the yard, watching the kids play and ride their bikes, cooking out, and visiting with all of our wonderful neighbors.

The weather could not have been better. What a blessing that was! I typically don't enjoy being outdoors all that much here. It's the humidity and the mosquitoes. For the 5 days we went without power, humidity and mosquitoes did not exist here, a true miracle!

Our power came back on Thursday morning about 12:30. Having been teased by 5 hours of power two days before, I tried not to get my hopes up too much. After the power remained on more than 8 hours, I was certain this time it was permanent. That night the power went off twice for about 10 minutes. It's been back on since.

There are still people in our area without power. It is interesting to see how people handle being without this luxury we tend to take advantage of. I found it difficult to complain. After all, my family was safe and sound, my home was safe and sound and my biggest problem was I couldn't use my vacuum and washing machine. I couldn't complain knowing people lost their homes, their livelihood, and loved ones. Being without power is an inconvenience, not a disaster in itself.

Tomorrow morning Galveston residents will be allowed back on the island to get a look at their homes, or what used to be their homes, for the very first time. It's hard to imagine the anticipation they must feel. Some not having any idea of what they will see when they get there.

I am seeing that my autosave is acting up again. It's time to close for today.

0 comments: